Re: PGSQL Crossroads

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: PGSQL Crossroads
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Skeets,

> While I don't want to, I'm now faced with going the PHP / MySQL route
> due to the much better documentation.  I really don't want to, but
> what choice do I have when no information is available how operate
> this darn thing in a WinXP development environment?

I realize that you are frustrated.  However, it's counter-productive to take
out your frustration on the people whom you are asking for help.
Mentioning MySQL won't get you more attention than simply asking "what do I
do next"?

The native Windows version is a brand-new beta.  One of the reasons why it's a
beta is that there isn't really documentation yet.   As an "early adopter"
you are going to experience some frustration.

> Do I still need Cygwin?  Do I follow the Cygwin tutorial even though I
> installed the .msi version?  I have no clue and I am frustrated beyond
> all get out.

No, you don't need Cygwin.    The new version is Windows-native.

> Heck, not even the gurus can put together information that, when
> followed, installed and configured PGSQL on my WinXP box.  I got
> close...  I got initdb to work...  but that's it.  postmaster and
> PGSQL wouldn't start due to various errors.

Please post the errors.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions