Re: Strange pg_hba.conf error (repost)

От Karam Chand
Тема Re: Strange pg_hba.conf error (repost)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Well from:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/client-authentication.html

local
This record matches connection attempts using Unix
domain sockets. Without a record of this type,
Unix-domain socket connections are disallowed

Since I am connecting from my linux box, it might be
the problem. I am in home now - will check it agin
tomorrow in office. damn no SSH to the linux box.

by the way, i have one question. since the old user
left the job and we deleted his account who owns
postgresql and its data? does the old database with
his name which we used to work still exists? I am
little confused on this issue as I come from mySQL
background and we didnt have usernames based on the
Linux usernames?

The postgresql book by wrox tells us to create a user
postgres using "useradd" command but when I look into
User & groups using RH9.1 configuration tool I dont
see any such users but the corresponding "useradd
postgres" fails. Little confusing...damn my
intelligence...

This leads me to another question: can somebody point
me to a doc that teaches me usermanagement and default
databases (template0 and template1) in newbie terms.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Karam