Re: Request for download stats on release

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Request for download stats on release
Дата
Список pgsql-www
The issue is how hard is it to get the information, and how useful is it
to us.  It is pretty hard to get, and if we knew a number, what would we
do with it that would help PostgreSQL?  Not much, I think.

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> > Maybe have an extension on initdb so that if run from a terminal, it
> > prompts the installer for whether they want to send in a simple email
> > letting us know its being used ... ?
>
> I think this is a bad idea.  People will find it invasive of their
> privacy, and even with it we'd still have no idea of real usage counts,
> considering how many people would opt out --- or never see the prompt
> in the first place, because they're using an RPM or .deb installation
> that's going to run initdb non-interactively.
>
> We used to have a request to send email in the message that got printed
> by 'make install'.  How many people responded to that?  Darn few that
> I can recall.
>
>             regards, tom lane

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Request for download stats on release
Сообщение: Re: Request for download stats on release