Re: Release notes for upgrading

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: Release notes for upgrading
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday 10 August 2004 22:57, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Can we put in a recommendation in the release notes that people use 8.0
> pg_dump to do their dump?  I think that will make everyone's upgrades go
> much more smoothly, and we will get many fewer complaints.
>
> I don't think many users realise they can use the next version's pg_dump
> to upgrade.  I think it should be put in every release notes!

Assuming we're not ready to recommend Slony for upgrades, I would second this
idea based on my experience of several cases where I *had* to dump a database
using the newer pg_dump to get it to upgrade reliably. In fact I just came
across a 7.3 database that no longer works with standard -Fc backups since
the schema cannot be reloaded...

--
Robert Treat
Build A Better Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL