Re: lock entire database

От Oliver Fromme
Тема Re: lock entire database
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Benjamin wrote:
 > Machine A is the Primary, and Machine B is the backup for A.
 > When B is booting up, it has to duplicate the entire pgsql db from A.
 > As Ron said, cud do with a pg_dump. But, i guess, pg_dump takes quite
 > some time. As A is already up, it wud be unwise to lock the db for so
 > long. Also, even if i do go ahead with pg_dump, and then do a pg_restore
 > on B, by the time data is being pg_restore'ed on B, a query cud modify/
 > update the db on A.
 > My idea was to lock the db on A, scp the required files onto B and then
 > unlock db on A.

If I understand you correctly, "Slony" will do exactly what you
want, without the need to lock any DB:  http://www.slony.org
Slony 1.0 has been released recently, which was mentioned
prominently on PostgreSQL's homepage.  It's a master-slave
replication system.

Hope that helps.

Best regards
   Oliver

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,
because that would also stop you from doing clever things."
        -- Doug Gwyn