Re: The black art of postgresql.conf tweaking

От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема Re: The black art of postgresql.conf tweaking
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Monday 09 Aug 2004 7:58 pm, Paul Serby wrote:
> I've not maxed out the connections since making the changes, but I'm
> still not convinced everything is running as well as it could be. I've
> got some big result sets that need sorting and I'm sure I could spare a
> bit more sort memory.

You could set the sort mem for that connection before issuing the query.

i.e.

# set sort_mem=20000;
# select * ....;

And reset it back. Setting it globally is not that good. If you do it
selectively, that would tune it as per your needs..

> Where does everyone get there information about the settings? I still
> can't find anything that helps explain each of the settings and how you
> determine there optimal settings.

http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/annotated_conf_e.html
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html

HTH