Re: Open items

От Jonathan Gardner
Тема Re: Open items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 05 August 2004 06:51 am, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jonathan M. Gardner" <jgardner@jonathangardner.net> writes:
> > except if you look at parse_analyze_varparams it seems that it
> > *ignores* the numParams and paramTypes passed in. (I could be reading
> > this wrong, so correct me.)
>
> You're reading it wrong.  That array is both an input and an output
> parameter.

I'm trying to understand the reasoning behind it, and so let me ask a few
questions.

(1) What's the purpose of specifying the params if it is going to figure it
out on its own?

(2) What happens when I specify a different number of params than what is in
the query string?(3 params in query, but 4 specified, or 2 params in query,
but 1 specified.)

(2) How do I specify something like this:1. Param 1 is an int.2. Param 2 is unknown - figure it out.3. Param 3 is a
varchar.
Does it even make sense to specify something like that?

If these questions are answered by a discussion thread from a while back,
I'd appreciate pointers.

Thanks for your time Tom and others, I'm enjoying this and remembering C all
at the same time.

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardner@jonathangardner.net