Re: Updateable Views?

От Jonathan Gardner
Тема Re: Updateable Views?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday 03 August 2004 08:38 pm, Greg Stark wrote:
> "Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe@qwest.net> writes:
> > On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 13:05, CSN wrote:
> > > Just wondering, is updateable views slated for a
> > > future version of Postgresql? In addition to using
> > > rules that is.
> >
> > I would think that a basic fleshing out of the logic with some kind of
> > stored proc to make the views and triggers would likely get someone
> > started on the backend work.  You know, a proof of concept thingy.
>
> I have some fears here. It seems everyone's first thought when they think
> about updateable views is to think about constructing rules on the views.
>
> How would that approach help with inline views? Things like:
>
>  UPDATE (SELECT a+b AS x, c AS y FROM foo) SET c=1 WHERE x = 10
>
> It seems like starting with these types of views in the backend would be
> more productive than implementing something in rules. Once postgres can
> handle inline views it should be trivial to handle persistent views just
> like they're handled on selects.

I think you are putting the cart before the horse. We have to get things
working and get the rules figured out before we can start modifying the
backend. Once we get it all figured out, implemented, tested, and debugged,
then maybe we can start considering modifying the backend.

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardner@jonathangardner.net