Re: Open items

От Jonathan Gardner
Тема Re: Open items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday 03 August 2004 08:18 am, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com> writes:
> > Second, Jan promised at OSCON to fix up server-side prepare so it
> > actually works even if you do not have the exact types to pass in. I
> > presume you will then be able to do something like this:
> > PREPARE mystatement AS SELECT * FROM pg_class WHERE relanem = $1
> > which will make driver writers very, very happy.
>
> Why would a driver writer care?  He can use the Prepare protocol
> message, which already can do the above --- and more to the point,
> there's already a way for him to *find out* what types were resolved.
> There is no way for the SQL-level PREPARE command to provide info
> about how types were resolved, so I'm not in favor of hacking the
> SQL command this way.

Quoth the manual (7.4):Presently, prepared statements for use with PQexecPrepared must be set up
by executing an SQL PREPARE command, which is typically sent with PQexec
(though any of libpq's query-submission functions may be used). A
lower-level interface for preparing statements may be offered in a future
release.

Does the new, 8.0 libpq have an interface to the prepare protocol message?

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardner@jonathangardner.net