Re: Support for persistant objects in PostgreSQL?

От Marc G. Fournier
Тема Re: Support for persistant objects in PostgreSQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Suresh,
>
>> Is persistant objects and references to these objects
>> supported in PostgreSQL? If so can anyone point me to
>> the documentation for these?
>
> These structures are usually known as "Composite Types", although they have a
> different, less intuitive name in the SQL99 standard which escapes me at the
> moment.   "Persistant Objects" is an Oracle-ism which is why you're having
> trouble finding help on it.
>
> Currently 7.4 PostgreSQL 7.4 supports the creation of such types and use of
> them in Functions and queries.  However, using them as a table column will
> not be supported until the next PostgreSQL version, coming soon.

Is this much different (and how?) then using inheritance?  CREATE TABLE vs
CREATE TYPE ... but looking at the example he provided, that was my first
thought ...

----

Сообщение: Re: Support for persistant objects in PostgreSQL?
Сообщение: Re: Support for persistant objects in PostgreSQL?