Re: best way to fetch next/prev record based on index

От Stephan Szabo
Тема Re: best way to fetch next/prev record based on index
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> syntax
> > Hum. It would seem my intuition matches the SQL92 spec and Postgres
> gets
> > this
> > wrong.
> [...]
> > Even if Postgres did this right I'm not sure that would solve your
> > woes.
> > I imagine the first thing Postgres would do is rewrite it into regular
> > scalar
> > expressions. Ideally the optimizer should be capable of then deducing
> from
> > the
> > scalar expressions that an index scan would be useful.
>
> Wow.  For once, the standard is my friend.  Well, what has to be done?
> :)  Does pg do it the way it does for a reason?  From the outside it
> seems like the planner would have an easier job if it can make a field
> by field comparison.
>
> Would a patch introducing the correct behavior (per the standard) be
> accepted?  It seems pretty complicated (not to mention the planner
> issues).

Given the comment on make_row_op,
  /*
   * XXX it's really wrong to generate a simple AND combination for < <=
   * > >=.  We probably need to invent a new runtime node type to handle
   * those correctly.  For the moment, though, keep on doing this ...
   */
I'd expect it'd be accepted.

Сообщение: Re: best way to fetch next/prev record based on index
Сообщение: Re: best way to fetch next/prev record based on index