Re: xeon processors

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: xeon processors
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 07:31:59PM -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 14:13, Jaime Casanova wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Can anyone tell me if postgresql has problems with xeon processors?
> > If so, there is any fix or project of fix it?
>
> To PostgreSQL, there's no difference between a dual CPU machine with no
> hyperthreading, and a single CPU machine with hyperthreading.

At some point there was trouble with spinlocks on some of the newer
Xeons (maybe those with hyperthreading?).  I think there was a good deal
of discussion and resulting development because of that.  According to
my archives it seems to be around december 2003.  There's even a CVS
entry, listed by cvs2cl as

       * src/: backend/storage/lmgr/s_lock.c, include/storage/s_lock.h:         Improve spinlock code for recent x86
processors:insert a PAUSE         instruction in the s_lock() wait loop, and use test before         test-and-set in
TAS()macro to avoid unnecessary bus traffic.         Patch from Manfred Spraul, reworked a bit by Tom.

Not sure if this made the 7.4.3 release ...

"You knock on that door or the sun will be shining on places inside you
that the sun doesn't usually shine" (en Death: "The High Cost of Living")