Re: putting binary data in a char field?

От George Essig
Тема Re: putting binary data in a char field?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ron Snyder <snyder@roguewave.com> wrote:
> When I changed the field to a bytea, processing time was
> significantly reduced

You should also experiment with using a TEXT field and base64 encoding to insert data and base64
decoding to select data.  In my experience, this is faster than using a bytea field.  Certain
characters in binary data have to be escaped properly before you can insert data.  The size and
time this takes can vary.  Base64 encoding is fast and will increase the binary string by 1/3.

George Essig