Re: Major differences between oracle and postgres performance - what can I do ?

От: Paul Thomas
Тема: Re: Major differences between oracle and postgres performance - what can I do ?
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Major differences between oracle and postgres performance - what can I do ?  (Gary Cowell, )
 Re: Major differences between oracle and postgres performance  (Richard Huxton, )
 Re: Major differences between oracle and postgres performance - what can I do ?  (Paul Thomas, )
 Re: Major differences between oracle and postgres performance - what can I do ?  (Jeff, )
 Re: Major differences between oracle and postgres performance  (Shridhar Daithankar, )
 Re: Major differences between oracle and postgres performance - what can I do ?  (Gary Cowell, )
  Re: Major differences between oracle and postgres performance  (pginfo, )
  Re: Major differences between oracle and postgres performance  (Richard Huxton, )
  Re: Major differences between oracle and postgres performance - what can I do ?  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: Major differences between oracle and postgres performance - what can I do ?  (Stephen Frost, )
    Re: Major differences between oracle and postgres performance - what can I do ?  (Tom Lane, )
     Re: Major differences between oracle and postgres performance - what can I do ?  (Stephen Frost, )
      Re: Major differences between oracle and postgres performance - what can I do ?  (Stephen Frost, )
  Re: Major differences between oracle and postgres performance  (pginfo, )
  Re: Major differences between oracle and postgres performance - what can I do ?  ("Mischa Sandberg", )

On 18/06/2004 12:31 Gary Cowell wrote:
> [snip]
> I'm not as familiar with postgresql as I am with
> Oracle but I think I've configured comparible
> buffering and sort area sizes, certainly there isn't
> much physical IO going on in either case.
>
> What can I do to speed up this query? Other queries
> are slightly slower than under Oracle on the same
> hardware but nothing like this.

Usual questions:

have you vacuumed the table recently?
what are your postgresql.conf settings?
can you show us explain ANALYZE output rather than just explain output?

--
Paul Thomas
| Thomas Micro Systems Limited | Software Solutions for
Business             |
| Computer Consultants         |