Re: Improving postgresql.conf

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Improving postgresql.conf
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> >>The proposal is to remove the comments from postgresql.conf (like
> >>Apache) so all entries will be active.  The downside is that it will not
> >>be possible to determine which values were modified from their defaults.
>
> One thing that truly annoys me about postgresql.conf is say I unhash an
> option and set it to something.  Then I reload.  Then I edit the conf
> and hash it out again, then I reload.  Of course, the option still has
> my old value.  This is really annoying and I've wasted lots of time
> trying to figure out what's going on.

Seems we could easily fix this by reading the config file, marking the
entries we found, and setting all the rest to default values, basically
pretending they were all specified as defaults in the config file.

This does not address the issue of someone changing the default to
another value, then commenting it out, but with the comment I assume
they would want the default, not what is specified in the file.

Pennsylvania19073