Re: [HACKERS] serverlog function (log_destination file)

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] serverlog function (log_destination file)
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] serverlog function (log_destination file)  (Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de>)
Список pgsql-patches
Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Sorry I didn't get back on this earlier, yesterday morning my internet
> access was literally struck by lightning, I'm running temporary hardware
> now.

> I'll fix the default filename difference, postgresql.log seems best.
> I'll add doc too.
>
> >One idea would be to send a message to stderr when this option is used
> >stating that everything is going to 'filename'.
> >

> I can ereport LogFileOpen and LogFileClose, do we need this? Currently,
> only open problems will be reported.

Actually, my idea of sending a message to stderr saying we are using a
pre-configured file is so folks aren't surprised by the fact they can't
see any stderr anymore.  But doesn't syslog have the same issue.  Maybe
not, and that's why we need a message like:

    "All standard output and standard error are going to postgresql.conf"

and send that to the processes standard error.

> >Also can we close/reopen the file on SIGHUP. My guess is we can't
> >because of all the backends accessing the output file.
> >

> I'd also like it flushed in pg_logfile and pg_logfile_length, same
> problem; any hints welcome.

I don't understand this.  I was thinking of close/reopen so log files
could be rotated.

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] serverlog function (log_destination file)
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] serverlog function (log_destination file)