Re: Nested xacts: looking for testers and review

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Nested xacts: looking for testers and review
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Well, the default behavior of COMMIT for an aborted subtransaction is
that it will abort the upper transaction too, so I think this is the
behavior you want.

We are considering allowing COMMIT IGNORE ABORT for scripts that want to
do a subtransaction, but don't care if it fails, and because it is a
script, they can't test the return value to send ROLLBACK:
BEGIN;BEGIN;DROP TABLE test;COMMITCREATE TABLE test(x int);COMMIT;

In this case you don't care if the DROP fails, but you do it all in a
subtransaction so the visibility happens all at once.

Barry Lind wrote:
> [...]
> we be extending ROLLBACK or END, something other than COMMIT so that we
> don't imply that anything was actually committed.
>
> Perhaps I am being too literal here in reading the keyword COMMIT as
> meaning that something was actually committed, instead of COMMIT simply
> being end-of-transaction that may or may not have committed the changes
> in that transaction.  I have always looked at COMMIT and ROLLBACK as a
> symmetric pair of commands - ROLLBACK -> the changes in the transaction
> are not committed, COMMIT -> the changes in the transaction are
> committed.  That symmetry doesn't exist in reality since COMMIT only
> means that the changes might have been committed.
>
> --Barry
>

> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 04:05:40PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > Bruce,
> >

> >>One interesting idea would be for COMMIT to affect the outer
> >>transaction, and END not affect the outer transaction.  Of course that
> >>kills the logic that COMMIT and END are the same, but it is an
> >>interesting idea, and doesn't affect backward compatibility because
> >>END/COMMIT behave the same in non-nested transactions.
> >

> > I implemented this behavior by using parameters to COMMIT/END.  I didn't
> > want to add new keywords to the grammar so I just picked up
> > "COMMIT WITHOUT ABORT".  (Originally I had thought "COMMIT IGNORE
> > ERRORS" but those would be two new keywords and I don't want to mess
> > around with the grammar.  If there are different opinions, tweaking the
> > grammar is easy).
> >
> > So the behavior I originally implemented is still there:
> >
> > alvherre=# begin;
> > BEGIN
> > alvherre=# begin;
> > BEGIN
> > alvherre=# select foo;
> > ERROR:  no existe la columna "foo"
> > alvherre=# commit;
> > COMMIT
> > alvherre=# select 1;
> > ERROR:  transacci?n abortada, las consultas ser?n ignoradas hasta el fin de bloque de transacci?n
> > alvherre=# commit;
> > COMMIT
> >

> > However if one wants to use in script the behavior you propose, use
> > the following:
> >
> > alvherre=# begin;
> > BEGIN
> > alvherre=# begin;
> > BEGIN
> > alvherre=# select foo;
> > ERROR:  no existe la columna "foo"
> > alvherre=# commit without abort;
> > COMMIT
> > alvherre=# select 1;
> >  ?column?
> > ----------
> >         1
> > (1 fila)
> >
> > alvherre=# commit;
> > COMMIT
> >

> > The patch is attached.  It applies only after the previous patch,
> > obviously.

> > diff -Ncr --exclude-from=diff-ignore 10bgwriter/src/backend/access/transam/xact.c
13commitOpt/src/backend/access/transam/xact.c
> [...]
> > +                 }
> > +             | /* EMPTY */
> > +                 { $$ = NIL; }
> > +         ;
> >
> >   /*****************************************************************************
> >    *
> > diff -Ncr --exclude-from=diff-ignore 10bgwriter/src/backend/tcop/utility.c 13commitOpt/src/backend/tcop/utility.c
> > *** 10bgwriter/src/backend/tcop/utility.c    2004-05-29 19:20:14.000000000 -0400
> > --- 13commitOpt/src/backend/tcop/utility.c    2004-06-09 12:02:53.000000000 -0400
> > ***************
> > *** 351,357 ****
> >                           break;
> >
> >                       case TRANS_STMT_COMMIT:
> > !                         EndTransactionBlock();
> >                           break;
> >
> >                       case TRANS_STMT_ROLLBACK:
> > --- 351,374 ----
> >                           break;
> >
> >                       case TRANS_STMT_COMMIT:
> > !                         {
> > !                             bool ignore = false;
> > !
> > !                             if (stmt->options)
> > !                             {
> > !                                 ListCell    *head;
> > !
> > !                                 foreach(head, stmt->options)
> > !                                 {
> > !                                     DefElem        *item = (DefElem *) lfirst(head);
> > !
> > !                                     if (strcmp(item->defname, "ignore_errors") == 0)
> > !                                         ignore = true;
> > !                                 }
> > !                             }
> > !
> > !                             EndTransactionBlock(ignore);
> > !                         }
> >                           break;
> >
> >                       case TRANS_STMT_ROLLBACK:
> > diff -Ncr --exclude-from=diff-ignore 10bgwriter/src/include/access/xact.h 13commitOpt/src/include/access/xact.h
> > *** 10bgwriter/src/include/access/xact.h    2004-06-08 17:48:36.000000000 -0400
> > --- 13commitOpt/src/include/access/xact.h    2004-06-09 12:00:19.000000000 -0400
> > ***************
> > *** 171,177 ****
> >   extern void CommitTransactionCommand(void);
> >   extern void AbortCurrentTransaction(void);
> >   extern void BeginTransactionBlock(void);
> > ! extern void EndTransactionBlock(void);
> >   extern bool IsSubTransaction(void);
> >   extern bool IsTransactionBlock(void);
> >   extern bool IsTransactionOrTransactionBlock(void);
> > --- 171,177 ----
> >   extern void CommitTransactionCommand(void);
> >   extern void AbortCurrentTransaction(void);
> >   extern void BeginTransactionBlock(void);
> > ! extern void EndTransactionBlock(bool ignore);
> >   extern bool IsSubTransaction(void);
> >   extern bool IsTransactionBlock(void);
> >   extern bool IsTransactionOrTransactionBlock(void);

> > TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

Pennsylvania19073

Сообщение: Re: Nested xacts: looking for testers and review
Сообщение: Re: Nested xacts: looking for testers and review