Re: Improving postgresql.conf

От Honza Pazdziora
Тема Re: Improving postgresql.conf
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 09:13:05PM +0530, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

> Well that is easy. In the service file just say
>
> [Cluster1]
>  datapath=/data/foo
>
> [Cluster2]
>  datapath=/data/foo1
>
> and postgresql.conf could still reside inside each cluster to provide
> specific configuration.
>
> Thenhave a script which can say 'service postgresql cluster1 start'

This is awfull way of doing configuration. Why should different
installation share anything, in one file? Running
/usr/bin/pg_ctl -C /etc/postgres.isp1.conf start

seems much more maintainable. And /etc/postgres.isp1.conf can specify
that the data files are in /bigdisk/data/isp1x or wherever you
please.

> Postgresql as a database server is a service. A cluster is an service
> instance. A service configuration file documents all service instances and
> their parameters required for all tuning and control purposes. Add a
> possibility of multiple versions of postgresql on same box. That sums it up

One file does not add possibility of multiple versions of postgresql
on same box, it merely makes it harder.

> Well, I wish I could have some archives link handy but suffice to say that
> Tom has rejected this idea many times before..

That does not necessarily mean the idea is broken. Tom's main
objection (IIRC) was that he needs to be able to have multiple
postgresqls on one machine. That can easily be achieved, either by
specifying datadirectory in the configuration file, or even defaulting
to the same directory where the .conf file is stored when no
datadirectory option is used.

--
http://www.fi.muni.cz/~adelton/.project:Perl, mod_perl, DBI, Oracle, large Web systems, XML/XSL, ...    Only