Re: Question regarding dynamic_library_path

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Question regarding dynamic_library_path
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> Why does postgres maintain a loader logic of its own? I can understand that
> the dynamic_library_path is necessary in order to configure everything in
> one single place. But why not just merge it with the LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or
> PATH on Windows) and then let dlopen do the rest using a stripped filename?
>
> The reason I ask is because I run into problems as soon as I have a module
> that in turn depends on other shared libraries. It doesn't help much that
> they are reachable through the dynamic_library_path since that path never is
> made known to the OS loader mechanisms.
>
> I'll be happty to submit some code to do the actual path merging (i.e
> omitting duplicates etc.).

I think the idea is that you want to specify the path in the config
file, after the app has already started.  I don't think you can modify
the environment variable after the app has started, and even if you can,
it seems simpler to just do it in our code and specify the exact path
rather than having it poke around in whatever LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set to.

Pennsylvania19073