Re: to_ascii function

От Karel Zak
Тема Re: to_ascii function
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 10:39:15AM -0300, Halley Pacheco de Oliveira wrote:
> This query didn't work as I was expecting. Any reasons
> for that ?
>
> SELECT TO_ASCII('ÁÉÍÓÚáéíóú??°')
>
> result -> 'AEIOUaeioua  '
>
> I used psql, java and phpPgAdmin without success.
>
> (PostgreSQL 7.4.2 encoding latin1)

 Are all chars  in your query LATIN1  symbols and are you  sure that all
 used  chars  have counterpart  in  ASCII? For  this to_ascii()  support
 LATIN1, LATIN2  and WIN1250 only. I'm  not sure if  there is a  way how
 convert others special chars (for example some Asiatic encodings).

 # show server_encoding;
 server_encoding
 -----------------
 LATIN1

 # show client_encoding;
 client_encoding
 -----------------
 LATIN1

 # SELECT '>>' || TO_ASCII('ÁÉÍÓÚáéíóú??°') || '<<';
     ?column?
 >>AEIOUaeiou?? <<

 The last char  in the string is dec 176 (hex 0xB0). Which  char do you
 expect after conversion to ASCII (0-127)?

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>
 http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/