Re: Parenthesis in Queries

От Martin Marques
Тема Re: Parenthesis in Queries
Дата
Список pgsql-general
El Dom 02 May 2004 17:15, Oudenhoven, Timothy L escribió:
> Is there a way to turn off the need to use parenthesis in queries for table
> names etc.  I have seen in some documentation examples that parenthesis are
> not used in the queries.  In my install of postgre 7.4 I get an error when
> I do not use them.
>
> Example with parenthesis which works in my build
> select * from portal."User"
>
> where I would like to use
> select * from portal.User

Does are not parenthesis, but doble quotes.

When you don't put quotes on the relations name, PG will lower case the name,
and there is where you get the error.

Solution: Don't use quoted relation names ever. This includes especially when
you create tables, becuase if you do this:

CREATE TABLE tab1 (
"ID"    SERIAL,
"User"    VARCHAR(30)
);

tab1.ID will not exist, becuase PG interprets it as tab1.id (see the case
difference), but will recognize pretty well tab1."ID".

--
 08:35:02 up 5 days, 13:57,  2 users,  load average: 0.63, 0.73, 0.75
Martín Marqués        | select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar'