Re: Fixed directory locations in installs

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Fixed directory locations in installs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Common practice, for one thing. Windows programs are typically
> relocatable, and Windows admins regard programs that rely on
> hardcoded paths very poorly indeed.

OK, but how can that work in general?  How do other programs handle
this?  I don't think we should design a solution that goes like "ok, if
we move that file from share to lib then we could get away with it for
now".  That will only postpone the potential problems.  There needs to
be a definite and fixed place where programs can go looking to find the
files they need.  Maybe it should be stored in that registry thing?