Re: isnumeric() function?

От Jeff Eckermann
Тема Re: isnumeric() function?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
--- Yudie <yudie@axiontech.com> wrote:
> Great the function works, but what does it means?
> SELECT $1 ~ ''^[0-9]+$''
>
> Yudie

"~" is the regular expression match operator; the text
inside the quotes is a regular expression.  Look here
for a reference:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.2/interactive/functions-matching.html#FUNCTIONS-REGEXP

The function definition in my note was intended as an
example; it won't necessarily do exactly what you
want.  For example, it will reject a decimal point (in
that case, try SELECT $1 ~ ''^[0-9]+(\\.[0-9]+)?$'').

If you are not familiar with regular expressions,
consider spending a little time learning about them.
They are simply the best way to do pattern matching,
and if you do any amount of text processing at all,
time spent learning will repay you very well.