Re: PITR Phase 2 - Design Planning

От Bruno Wolff III
Тема Re: PITR Phase 2 - Design Planning
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 23:02:42 +0000, Peter Galbavy <peter.galbavy@knowtion.net> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> >For long running transactions where you want to recover as much as
> >possible,
> >one might also want to recover up until just before a specific transaction
> >committed (as opposed to started).
>
> If your DB has died and you are recovering it, how do you reestablish a
> session so that a transaction can complete ? Doesn't all client
> connections assume that a transaction has failed if the connection to
> the DB fails ?

The context of my suggestion was for recovering up until a transaction which
messed things up was committed. I did not want the problem transaction to
be committed. If the problem transaction ran for a long time, there might
be other transactions that I want to keep, if possible, that committed
after the problem transaction started and before it ended.