Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?

От Jean-Michel POURE
Тема Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Le mardi 27 Avril 2004 09:59, Karel Zak a écrit :
>  Agree. The  page  should  be  describe basic  PostgreSQL  features  and
>  step-by-step introduction from  download to a first  user's "SELECT ...
>  FROM".

Dear Karel and Bruce,

A step-by-step introduction is interesting, to the extent that the
http://win32.postgresql.org home page remains minimal,
so that translators do not need to upgrade their translation from time to
time. At first, five paragraphs are enough:

- Presentation of PostgreSQL: "PostgreSQL is the most advanced database in the
world, offering a complete solution suited for every need, etc...".

- Step by step installation procedure (with screenshots). The screenshots may
remain in English.

- Links to the documentation and the mailing lists.

- Links to the PostgreSQL NLS project (Peter).

- Legal disclaimer.

Having a translation is important because people running Windows mostly seek
information in their language on seach engines.

Then, like in the pgAdmin III project, you can sit on a chair and monitor
downloads. IMHO, the number of downloads can quickly rise to one million a
month.

>  Do you expect translate PostgreSQL-win installer to foreign languages?

Probably not, this is too much work. But this can come in a second stage.

Because PostgreSQL is such a wonderfull project, there is no need to build
complex marketing strategies. A single web page and a complete installer is
enough to reach impressive numbers.

Of course, the most difficult part is the Win32 installer.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel Pouré