Re: Replication

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Replication
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 09:42:12AM -0400, Eric Comeau wrote:

> What is Oracle selling as their replication solution these days?

[. . .]

> Their ORAC if I understand it correctly is a "cluster" solution and
> no a "replication" solution.

This is an example of why I think most of the discussion about
"replication" is so confusing.  ORAC is certainly a kind of
replication: it provides always-on, hot redundancy in a cluster of
machines.  It's multi-master, and something very close to
asynchronous.  It's a _very_ clever system, but it'll do you not one
whit of good if your primary site fails.  Also, it's not suitable for
use on unreliable hardware: every cluster member failure causes a
"remastering" event which causes everything to stop while remastering
happens.  Finally, it requires some nifty but expensive storage --
storage which itself could be a single point of failure, if it failed
in the right ways.

To solve all of that, Oracle also offers Data Guard.  This is
basically a standard log-shipping technique.  The off-site "standby"
databases can't be used while in standby mode.  This has all the
standard caveats of asynchronous WAN replication, not least of which
is that if you processed a $100 million transaction right before your
master failed, and then you recovered onto a slave which didn't have
that last moment of data, you might find yourself making a $100
million mistake.

So, Oracle Corp offers two different ways to keeo you up nights. :)
I'm sure they're both wonderful products.  But they certainly don't
have a one-size-fits-all approach.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca