Re: Usability, MySQL, Postgresql.org, gborg, contrib, etc.

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Usability, MySQL, Postgresql.org, gborg, contrib, etc.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 05:15:19PM -0400, pgsql@mohawksoft.com wrote:
> (5) Programming languages. We need to make a programming language standard
> in PostgreSQL. plpgsql is good, but isn't someone working on a Java
> language. That would be pretty slick.
If there's going to be a single standard language, I strongly believe it
should be plpgsql. Any other language means that you have to find
something that someone else knows or is willing to learn, whereas anyone
using a database already knows SQL. plpgsql is simply an extension of
SQL, and is trivial for anyone who's worked with any other database
procedural languages to pickup. Asking a DBA to learn java or perl or
PHP is asking a lot.

If anything I'd like to see more features brought into plpgsql, like
packages (ala Oracle).
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant                  jim@nasby.net

От: Josh Berkus
Сообщение: Re: Bringing PostgreSQL torwards the standard regarding case folding
От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: Thread code not vpath-safe