Re: Arbitrary precision modulo operation

От Bruno Wolff III
Тема Re: Arbitrary precision modulo operation
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:18:52 -0400,
  Chadwick Boggs <chadwickboggs@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I need to perform modulo operations on extremely large numbers.  The %
> operator is giving me number out of range errors and the mod(x, y)
> function simply seems to return the wrong results.  Also, my numerator
> is in the format of a quoted string, which the mod function can't take.

How large is extremely large?
You can cast the strings to a numeric type to solve the string problem.
'numeric' should work for numbers up to about 1000 digits.
For example:
area=> select '1234567890'::numeric % '123'::numeric;
 ?column?
       39
(1 row)

If you are getting wrong results you should post a specific example so
that the developers can figure out what is going wrong.