Re: Question about inserts

От jseymour@LinxNet.com (Jim Seymour)
Тема Re: Question about inserts
Дата
Список pgsql-general
mike <mike@redtux1.uklinux.net> wrote:

> Is it possible to to the following
>
> I have tables which are updated via webpage (perl) with fields of type
> int and date (all nullable). If the values are blank the entire insert
> fails, with a wrong type error.

You're not giving much information here.  What do you mean by "blank
field?"  That is to say: If the field (on the web form) is left blank,
what is your CGI script trying to do?

> Is there any way to stop this behaviour so that the valid information is
> allowed,but the blank values get ignored.

One way would be not try to set table fields to invalid values ;).

Look into using placeholders in your prepared statements and
conditionally binding them to NULL if a web form field has been left
blank by the user.

--
Jim Seymour                | Spammers sue anti-spammers:
jseymour@LinxNet.com       |     http://www.LinxNet.com/misc/spam/slapp.php