Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: What can we learn from MySQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Bruce,

Hmmm ... lessons of MySQL:

-- Marketing matters more than technical quality
   (not news, Microsoft taught us that)
-- You can often get away with pretending to have features
   you don't actually have with enough spin
   (Microsoft also outshines MySQL in this area)
-- Educated Database Administrators are in short supply,
   and as a result nobody cares about the SQL standard or
   relational theory anymore
   (Fabian Pascal could have told you that; according to him,
    the whole DB industry has been in steady decline since 1994)
-- Commerical companies are uncomfortable with Real Open Source,
   and prefer the pseudo-open-source offered by dual-licensing
   companies

This last lesson was really driven home to me at the Open Source Business
Convention; managers were slavering all over "dual licensing" as the "new
model of open source."   When I pointed out that there's another name for
dual licensing -- "shareware" -- I got some real uncomfortable silences.
Seems that a lot of companies want the fruits of Open Source without changing
the way they do business at all.  Big surprise, eh?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?