Re: Installation - SuSE 9.0

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Installation - SuSE 9.0
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Stephen Salbod wrote:
>     I'm trying to get Postgresql to work on my laptop. Using YaST I
> installed the package. I examined the installation instructions, but
> could not make any sense of them. I'm coming from a Windows
> background. Even so, I could tell the instruction leave a lot to
> desire for a newbie. I started using the kconsole, I begin in my
> directory (/home/me). I feel I am missing something that every Linux
> user knows but a Windows user wouldn't, for example, what is a super
> user? My main question is how do I get Postgresql running. I want to
> learn it! Any help toward this goal shall be appreciated.

It should already be running if you installed via YaST.  Try "psql -l"
to see if you can contact the server.  Otherwise try
"/etc/init.d/postgresql start" as root.  That script is a wrapper
around the postmaster and pg_ctl programs that you see referenced in
the documentation, so you should mentally substitute that when reading
about starting or stopping the server.