Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions

От Marc G. Fournier
Тема Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Rod Taylor wrote:

> > I think most of the current contrib projects are more missing the
> > advantage version independence would have for the ease of "sitting" in
> > contrib and having the whole project management around them just done.
> > Yes, doing your own gborg project costs time. You have to maintain
> > pages, do your own release cycles with announcement, BETA phase,
> > tarballs, packaging and all the nine yards. Being in contrib avoids all
> > that in a very convenient way.
>
> I think Gnome (and KDE) have the right idea. Several independent small
> projects that once or twice a year get together and have a big release.
>
> We could co-ordinate a set of projects (phppgadmin, pgadmin, slony,
> jdbc, odbc, etc. etc.) to make a release on the same day as PostgreSQL.
>
> We then setup several 'meta' packages. For example, PostgreSQL-lite
> might be just the core. PostgreSQL-Advanced might include jdbc, pgadmin,
> slony, tsearch, postgis and everything in postgresql-lite.

I'd like to agree with this concept, but it falls way short of addressing
the problem ... and the problem isn't even pulling things out of contrib
... there are alot of good projects out there that aren't on gforge or in
the core distribution that ppl just aren't finding ...

a 'Meta Package' doesn't help much, since unless you put *everything* into
it that you can possibly find, there is always going to be something
missing that someone would find useful ... and if you put everything into
it, most ppl would only use a small percentage of what is there ...

People keep focusing on how to make a super-meta package ... the problem
isn't making one big package that contains it all, it is making sure that
what is available is easy to find ... what we need is something like
freshmeat that is *only* postgresql software ...

Now, Josh et al is working on finishing touches of he Projects web site
... I don't know everything that its able to do, but it does provide a
centralized, PostgreSQL specific, place to go to see what is available, as
long as ppl use it.
----

Сообщение: Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions
Сообщение: Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions