Re: Replication

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Replication
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 11:23:51AM -0400, Jan Wieck wrote:
> for that is NOT performance. SAP spends that effort multiple times by
> implementing their own, custom integrity control and data domain system
> in the DB abstraction layer, to gain DB vendor independence. That
> abstraction layer is larger than PHP and Apache together, so this
> example is IMHO totally irrelevant for the typical MySQL user.

Actually, I think it _is_ relevant.  It's proof, IMNSHO, that the
strategy of "doing it in the client" is completely bankrupt.  It's
one thing to do it this way if you have software which is a
category-killer the way SAP is, because you can afford the overhead
of all those developers doing all that extra work, and you can make
your customers buy trillion-dollar hardware to run your bloated
masterpiece.  The Rest Of Us, however, need to do things efficiently,
and that means doing the work in the place where it is least likely
to need to be checked again.  For most database applications, that's
inside the database.  (I'll not now start my rant on the mess caused
by developers who are careless with this principle.)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The plural of anecdote is not data.
        --Roger Brinner