Re: ident authentication problem

От Shanta McBain
Тема Re: ident authentication problem
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On April 21, 2004 13:26, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> If you follow this sage advice you'll open up your financial
> data to anyone happening to have an account on the machine in
> question. Anyone. Not just people who also happen to have
> *PostgreSQL* DB accounts.

Did not sound like the right thing todo That is why I asked. I am new to
Postgres.

> Including any internet user visiting your pages if they
> succeed in getting your http server to run some script (if, of
> course, sql-ledger is on the exposed machine, which it
> shouldn't).

It's not. But I would rather not open it to the world anyway.

> > I can't locate this file.
>
> It's in a directory off the home dir of the PostgreSQL system
> account running the backends.
>
> Do yourself a favour and read up on ident maps for PG
> authentication.

Thanks for pointing me to what I needed to read to get it to see the database.
It now accept the authentication but complains of a missing directory or
file.

This I don't know if it is SQL-Ledger problem or in Postgres. I will look
deeper to find out.

Seems like all Mandrake setup for these kinds of services are not smooth. I
have had repeated problems with getting MySQL, Perl DBI, etc working. Once I
have gone through the process though it works well.

Thanks again for the tips.

Shanta

--
Thanks