Re: Downgrading from Postgresql 7.4 to 7.1

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Downgrading from Postgresql 7.4 to 7.1
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 04:25:21PM -0500, Matt Adams wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I have an awkward situation where I must downgrade from 7.4 to 7.1.  I
> have two databases already in 7.4.  I'm largely ignorant concerning
> postgresql: am I going to have any severe problems downgrading?

Almost certainly you'll need to do some fiddling to make the dump
output from 7.4 acceptable to 7.1.  My guess is that you'll need to
write some sed or perl do do it adequately for you.  You may be in
better shape if you ask pg_dump to use INSERT statements instead, but
be aware that this will at least triple your restore time.

But I also wonder why you want to downgrade that far.  7.1 has
several _really big_ disadvantages.  There are plenty of bugs in
there fixed in later versions.  Also, 7.1 has the limitation that
VACUUM always blocks, so maintenance of the database will get a whole
lot more expensive (7.1's VACUUM is equivalent to later VACUUM
FULL).  Why do you have to do this?

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.
                --Brad Holland