Re: Index Problem?

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Index Problem?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Ron,

> Yeah I agree but I'm not allowed to remove those indexes.

It's not the indexes I'm talking about, it's the table.

> On my dev server I increased max_fsm_pages from the default of 20000 to
> 40000,

A better way to set this would be to run VACUUM VERBOSE ANALYZE right after
doing one of your update batches, and see how many dead pages are being
reclaimed, and then set max_fsm_pages to that # + 50% (or more).

increased checkpoint_segments from 3 to 5, and the function ran
> in about 6-7 minutes which is a nice increase. According to the docs
> "Annotated postgresql.conf and Global User Configuration (GUC) Guide" on
> varlena I'll have to re-start postgres for the changes to take effect
> there (correct?).

Correct.

> Also the docs on Varlena show the max_fsm_pages
> default to be 10,000 but my default was 20,000, looks like that needs
> updating.

I don't think the default has been changed.   Anyone?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions