Re: performance problem aftrer update from 7.1 to 7.4.2

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: performance problem aftrer update from 7.1 to 7.4.2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wednesday 14 April 2004 11:08, Development - multi.art.studio wrote:
> Richard Huxton wrote:
> >Something funny here - notice the width of newsletter (84) in the old
> > version against the width in the new one (610).
>
> hmmm, but why? the old mcms09 database is still growing and productive,
> and 7.4 is not updated and only for testing at this time.

> what happens that 7.4 will took so much time, and width for its querys?
> (really, i read that pg74 would speed up 2 or 3 times....if good db
> design) i didnt change anything on the tables.

I'm not saying the change in width is your problem here, but it's odd. Compare
a pg_dump of the schema of 7.1 newsletter vs 7.4 newsletter. There are only
two possibilities:
1. PG has changed the way it reports row width (I don't remember any such
change).
2. Something *has* changed.

If it still doesn't make sense, can you post the CREATE TABLE/INDEX etc. for
the newsletter table and I'll try it here and see what figure I get.

Once we've cleared this up, we'll have a look at what your config settings are
and whether they need tuning. PS - EXPLAIN ANALYSE is better than just
EXPLAIN for seeing what happens, it actually runs the query and shows what
happened.
--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd