Re: PostgreSQL configuration

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: PostgreSQL configuration
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Thomas Swan wrote:
> I thought the idea was to *reduce* the number of config files and provide
> a unified configuration file.  Ideally, the unified configuration file
> could eliminate the need for environment variables altogether.
>
> If I understand this correctly, the author was adding the ability to do
> this, not remove the default behavior.
>
> A single configuration point (which can be changed with a commandline
> switch) with the ability to include would be an exceptionally versatile
> asset for postgresql.  Maybe relocating PID would be a bad idea and
> someone could clobber their database, but that could be addressed with
> LARGE WARNING in that config file where the option is available.
>
> Outside of the unified config file argument.   "Configuration includes"
> give postgresql the ability to have shared settings.  You could have a
> shared pg_hba.conf and test all other manner of settings with a set of
> config files (sort_mem, shared_buffers, etc.) that say include a
> standard_pg_hba.conf to control access.

I suggested a new pg_path configuration file because it would enable
centralized config only if it was used.  By adding /data location to
postgresql.conf, you have the postgresql.conf file acting sometimes via
PGDATA and sometimes as a central config file, and I thought that was
confusing.

Pennsylvania19073