Re: pg_ctl problem

От jseymour@LinxNet.com (Jim Seymour)
Тема Re: pg_ctl problem
Дата
Re: pg_ctl problem  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
Alexander Cohen <alex@toomuchspace.com> wrote:

[snip]
> >                                                             Why not
> > just get rid of the space and save yourself the current, and possibly
> > future, grief?
>
> because this is an app for users and they might have spaces in their
> path.

*Users* are starting up postmaster?  *shrug*  ISTM you're left with the
following choices:

    1. Work at it until you've figured-out just the right
       combination of shell escapes to get the path though pg_ctl's
       "cooking."  The prior caveat applies: If pg_ctl is modified
       relative to that switch's argument handling, it'll break again.

    2. Modify pg_ctl so the argument, in all its processing, is
       preserved with embedded spaces.  Of course, the next release of
       pgsql would require re-doing it if pg_ctl is changed.

    3. Talk pgsql's developers into fixing the "problem."
       (If you fix it, as in #2, you could submit a patch.)

    4. Tell your users not to do that.  Spaces in pathnames are
       pure evil anyway.  A problem generally only found with end-users
       using (only) point-n-drool tools.

Personally, looking at pg_ctl's code, I think #1 is exceedingly
unlikely to succeed.  #2 (and, by extension, #3) looks kind of
iffy, too.

Good luck.

--
Jim Seymour                | Spammers sue anti-spammers:
jseymour@LinxNet.com       |     http://www.LinxNet.com/misc/spam/slapp.php