Re: pg_hba.conf view from the database?

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: pg_hba.conf view from the database?
Дата
Re: pg_hba.conf view from the database?  (Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday 06 April 2004 12:10, Fabien COELHO wrote:

> I'm thinking of allowing advices about incoherent or dangerous "host base
> authentification" configurations. I would like to access pg_hba.conf
> from within the database. However, I could not find any pg_catalog that
> would fit my needs.
>
> - am I missing something? I'm afraid not, but "yes" would be good news;-)

Not

> - is it a design principle that this information is not available,
>   or just a lack of time and/or need up to know?
>   would it make sense to add such a view?

I believe the thinking is that you want to check whether someone is allowed to
connect to the database without having to connect to the database. If someone
were to make bad connection attempts, they could easily run a denial of
service against your DB (whether intentionally or just due to an application
bug).

--  Richard Huxton Archonet Ltd