Re: Function to kill backend

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Function to kill backend
Дата
Re: Function to kill backend  (Rod Taylor <pg@rbt.ca>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce,

> OK, you have a runaway report. You want to stop it.  Query cancel is
> only going to stop the current query, and once you do that the next
> query is fed in so there is no way to actually stop the report,
> especially if the report is not being run from the same machine as the
> server (you can't kill the report process).  How do you stop it without
> SIGTERM?  You don't want to shut down the postmaster.

Hmmm ... but, at least in the case of my apps, killing the PG connection
wouldn't fix things.   Most apps I work on are designed to detect connection
failure and reconnect.   I suspect that most platforms that use connection
pooling are the same.  So your case would only work if you actually blocked
all connections from that host -- not a capability we'd discussed.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco