Re: Function to kill backend

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Function to kill backend
Дата
Re: Function to kill backend  (Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce,

> Someone already posted some pseudocode where they wanted to kill idle
> backends, perhaps as part of connection pooling.

I'm not talking about code.  I'm talking about a *reason*.

i.e.:  "I'm administrator of the blah-blah project.   We had a lot of trouble
managing idle connections to PG because of blah-blah.   A function to kill
off idle connctions would really help us becuase blah-blah-blah."

So far, all we've heard in favor of SIGTERM-by-PID are *hypothetical* cases.
Now Tom's telling us that there is a real cost attached to having this
feature.   Before we do it anyway, I want to be convinced that someone really
needs it.  It is *not* our practice to add features "just because we can."

Otherwise, I'll stick by my assertion that idle connection management should
be done in the middleware and NOT by psql.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco