Re: Aberdeen Study on OS RDBMS: exceprts and

От Marc G. Fournier
Тема Re: Aberdeen Study on OS RDBMS: exceprts and
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, scott.marlowe wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > Folks,
> >
> > > Should we write an open letter response (need to be carefully pitched
> > > though).
> >
> > I've already contacted Sleepycat, via a conversation we were having about
> > OSCON.     Please let me see if that bears fruit before doing anything else.
>
> They seemed like nice folks when I met them a couple years ago, so I'm
> sure they'll straighten things out.
>
> The oddest line in the whole report to me was:
>
> "However, Aberdeen's interviews also show that today's proprietary
> installed bases and ISVs show little interest in replacing existing
> databases with open source ones - leaving open source databases with only
> so many places to expand in..."
>
> Considering how many times we see requests for converting Oracle / MSSQL /
> DB2 databases to Postgresql, I think their people swim in different waters
> than the Postgresql people so.

To be fair here, how many of these are Oracle DBAs and such?  I know where
I worked at for 7 years, when I started, it was exclusively Oracle ...
management had no problems with my implementing things with PostgreSQL,
but talk to the Oracle DBAs and there is a better hope of hell freezing
over then the University ever switching over to an Open Source Database,
regardless of which one ...

Mainly, perceptions even within one organization differ depending on whom
you talk to :(

----