Re: Inconsistent behavior on Array & Is Null?

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Inconsistent behavior on Array & Is Null?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Joe,

> Sure, and in both cases array_upper is undefined because there are no
> array dimensions to speak of. I guess you might argue that array_upper,
> array_lower, and array_dims should all produce an ERROR on null input
> instead of NULL. But that would have been an un-backward compatible
> change for array_dims at the time array_lower and array_upper were
> created. I don't really believe they should throw an ERROR on an empty
> array though.

OK, I understand the logic now.   Thanks.

I guess this is another case where we're haunted by the ANSI committee's
failure to define both and "unknown" and a "not applicable" value instead of
the unitary NULL.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco

Сообщение: Re: Inconsistent behavior on Array & Is Null?
Сообщение: Re: Inconsistent behavior on Array & Is Null?