Re: Fuzzy cost comparison to eliminate redundant planning

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Fuzzy cost comparison to eliminate redundant planning
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Do we know in the optimizer whether we will be needing cheapest startup
> > or not?
>
> No.  Higher levels might want either.
>
> > Is the middle one kept because the optimizer has to mix the startup plus
> > some percentage of the total cost for queries using LIMIT?
>
> Right.  There are potentially some ranges of LIMIT for which it could
> win, I believe.  Maybe with some math you could prove there is no range
> in which the other two don't dominate it, but I suspect the extra logic
> would slow down add_path more than it's worth.

What if we take the total cost and divide it by the number of rows returned ---
then we have a per-row cost for each plan. Then we subtract the two, and
that difference compared to the difference in startup costs tell us how
many rows could potentially use this plan.

Pennsylvania19073

Сообщение: Re: Fuzzy cost comparison to eliminate redundant planning work
Сообщение: Re: Fuzzy cost comparison to eliminate redundant planning