Re: BUG #1118: Misleading Commit message

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: BUG #1118: Misleading Commit message
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
PostgreSQL Bugs List wrote:

> Details:
>
> In a block transaction, whether or not there were errors in the transaction
> issuing a commit; returns a COMMIT confirmation.
>
> In a block transaction, after a statement fails, all other statements have
> the (frustratingly) nice message ERROR:  current transaction is aborted,
> commands ignored until end of transaction block
>
> It seems to me, it would be helpful to change the commit message to reflect
> a ROLLBACK if the transaction is not actually committed.
>
> Let me know if you want an example :-)
>
> PS: the bug tracking thingo thinks my email (elein@varlena.com) is not a
> valid address.
> Funny I get a whole lotta postgres mail there...

Uh, the tag indicates the COMMIT completed, not that it was a success.
If we throw an error on a COMMIT, people willl think we did not close
the transacction, and if we return a ROLLBACK, they will think they
issued a rollback.  I don't think we can easily change the current
behavior.