Re: [DEFAULT] Daily digest v1.4346 (20 messages)

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: [DEFAULT] Daily digest v1.4346 (20 messages)
Дата
Re: [DEFAULT] Daily digest v1.4346 (20 messages)  ("Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Matthew,

I am replying to the below as a pg_autovacuum user for multiple client
databases.   My thoughts:

> Inability to customize thresholds on a per table basis

This hasn't been a big problem for me.   I would judge that 80% of my clients
would make no use of this feature.

> Inability to set default thresholds on a per database basis

This would be much more useful to us.

> Inability to exclude specific databases / tables from pg_autovacuum
monitoring

Same as above -- exclusion is much more needed than incremental raising/
lowering.   Of course, if one can set levels, one can set them to zero, so
perhaps it is the same thing.

> Inability to schedule vacuums during off-peak times

I don't think that this is the job of pg_autovacuum.   If a database requires
bulk loads and other burst activity, the DBA should schedule manual vacuums
around those and not use pg_autovacuum.

Also, bgwriter and slow vacuum should make this less of an issue for 7.5.

> Lack of integration related to startup and shutdown

Yes, this is a pain, especially from a security standpoint.

> Ignorance of VACUUM and ANALYZE operations performed outside pg_autovacuum
(requires backend integration? or can listen / notify can be used?)

Again, I think this is not crucial, personally.   Nice if there's some easy
way to do it, of course.

> Lack of logging options / syslog integration / log rotation options

Yep, this is a biggie.

Now, let me add my comments as to what my clients have complained about:

-- Lack of integrated security with the Postmaster
-- Inability to detect VACUUMs "backing up" due to too low vacuum mem or too
much activity and warn the DBA
-- Inability to Vacuum in parallel on high-capacity machines
-- No "timeout" for locked vacuums.

> I'm not sure how to address all of these concerns, or that they all should
be addressed right now.  One of my big questions is backend integration.

I concur with the other commentors; backend integration would be nice if
pg_autovacuum is not to be permanently a seperate script/process.   It would
eliminate several of the above issues.

> Since many people do not like tools that clutter their databases by adding
tables, I think option 1 (adding a pg_autovacuum table to existing databases)
is right out.

Personally, I like the idea of a pg_autovacuum table, and would supporrt it.
However, I have no strong objections to the other approaches.

> Right now pg_autovacuum has no memory of what was going on the last time it
was run.  So if significant changes have happened while pg_autovacuum is not
running, they will not be counted in the analysis of when to perform a vacuum
or analyze operation which can result in under vacuuming.  So, pg_autovacuum
should occasionally write down it's numbers to the database.  The data  will
be stored in an additional table called table_data

I think we've already had feedback about this.  If it's system information, it
should go in one of the existing tables, or it should be called something
more descriptive than "table_data", and should begin with pg_

Some consideraiton should also be given to the frequency of updating the
persistent data.   I would favor an asynchnous, infrequent updating that
would permit some loss of information over a synchrnous lossless approach.
The latter, while more accurate, would detract from server performance on
high-volume transction databases.

> 3.Single-Pass Mode (External Scheduling):
>
> I have received requests to be able to run pg_autovacuum only on request
(not as a daemon) making only one pass over all the tables (not looping
indefinately).  The advantage being that it will operate more like the
current vacuum command except that it will only vacuum tables that need to be
vacuumed.

I think this is a completely different utility from pg_autovacuum, and this
line of development need not be pursued unless it's easy to do.    I
certainly don't need it ....

> Syslog support.  I'm not sure this is really needed, but a simple patch was
submitted by one user and perhaps that can be reviewed / improved and
applied.

I need it, and am glad to hear there is a patch.   Several of my clients use
centralized syslog servers, and do *everything* through syslog.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco

От: Joe Conway
Сообщение: Re: pg_autovacuum next steps
От: Christopher Kings-Lynne
Сообщение: Re: float8 regression test failure in head