Re: pg_autovacuum next steps

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: pg_autovacuum next steps
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Monday 22 March 2004 03:36, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> 1. Per Database defaults and Per table Thresholds:
>
> There are differing opinions as to the best way to providing these this
> feature.  The primary debate is where to save the configuration data.  I
> see three options:
>
>  1.Store config data inside a special pg_autovacuum table inside
> existing databases that wants custom settings.
>
>  2.Use a config file.  This would require some additional coding to add
> the required parsing, but is possible.
>
>  3.Create a pg_autovacuum database inside any cluster that wants to
> customize their settings.
>
> Since many people do not like tools that clutter their databases by
> adding tables, I think option 1 (adding a pg_autovacuum table to
> existing databases) is right out.  Using a config file would be Ok, but
> would require additional parsing code.  My preference is option 3.

I've nothing against #3 as a default, but can I put in a suggestion for 1 & 3,
or rather some setting definable at runtime/build-time that lets you select
database + schema for autovacuum to find its config data.

I might be wrong, but it strikes me as the sort of thing people running shared
environments will want to choose for themselves.

--  Richard Huxton Archonet Ltd