BUG #1110: psql -h localhost consults the nameservice

От PostgreSQL Bugs List
Тема BUG #1110: psql -h localhost consults the nameservice
Дата
Re: BUG #1110: psql -h localhost consults the nameservice  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      1110
Logged by:          Michael Enke

Email address:      michael.enke@wincor-nixdorf.com

PostgreSQL version: 7.4

Operating system:   Linux

Details:

If I call "psql -h localhost" it is very slow
compared to "psql -h 127.0.0.1" since for "localhost"
the nameservice is consulted.

It is reproducable best in a loop. Call 50 times:
"psql -h localhost" takes 6 seconds
"psql -h 127.0.0.1" takes 0.6 seconds
This was not the case for psql from version 7.3
May be this has something to do with changes for IP v6.

For any mail to my email address, please include
in the subject line the keyword
_no_spam_

Thank you.