Re: COPY formatting

От Karel Zak
Тема Re: COPY formatting
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:29:03AM +0000, Lee Kindness wrote:
> To be honest this idea strikes me as overkill - over
> engineering.
It was suggestion, maybe you're right :-)

> While i have done a lot of messing around reading/writing the binary
> format (and been stung by changes in that format) if you are using
> this format then you're 99% likely to be in control of the
> incoming/outgoing data and thus able to format to your wishes outwith
> COPY.
I partly agree.But.. there  is possible write  directly final file by  backend withoutdata transfer  to client. If we
wantto  support this feature  we needcontrol output format by server...

And.. I can image  format that is use for BE/FE  data transfer only andnot for some  final data presentation. For
example compression of datastream from/to BE without PostgreSQL protocol change.

> Something else in the TODO regarding COPY is XML import/export, and
> for this to be supported in your proposed implementation the function
> would need to be passed in a heap more information.
Yes, very  probably some  struct with all  COPY information  and formatspecific stuff. Tom  was right that  in this
caseit will  C functionsonly. As I said  I will try implement it without  user defined functioncall for format
conversion, but I will do it modular  and in future wecan create some interface for user defined formats.

   Karel

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/

От: Fabien COELHO
Сообщение: Re: Further thoughts about warning for costly FK checks
От: Silvio Mazzaro
Сообщение: Re: Problem on cluster initialization